Monday, February 10, 2014

Let the Roasting Begin!









Hello Fellow Roasters,

I am very exited to be able to share with you this wonderful roaster.  I am based out of Bragg Creek, Alberta and love to kick back and relax with a nice cup of americano.

Being an espresso drinker for many years,  I always had the desire to see how much more flavor I could achieve.  First by purchasing my first espresso machine.  Second step was to get a good grinder.  I always tried to buy fresh Roasted Beans from around town.  I noticed that most store bought beans have a shelf life of around 6 months.  Doing more research I found that roasted beans normally peak in flavour around 3-7 days after roasting.  This led me to want to see what it would be be to roast the beans myself.  After reading countless reviews between the pros and cons of many home style roasters, I ended up with the Gene Cafe CBR-101.  I am very happy with the results and hope to be able to only get better as I experiment with different beans, roast levels and blends.  Some of the key things I like about this roaster are the easy view of the beans as they roast.  The 3" exhaust port which allow be to have a 3" duct to my exhaust fan on my stove range.  It is surprising at first the different odors that come from roasting green beans.  Smelling green beans in a bag is not very appealing.  Roasting the first 5-8 mins is similar to wet grass smell.  Its not till after the beans cool down that the actual roasted coffee bean smell then begins to appear.  Needless to say without the roasters exhaust vented out by the stove  fan duct, I would not be able to get the approval of my family to roast beans in the house.  This is a never ending joy and I look forward to being able to connect with more people with the same passion.  Until next time!

The Happy Roaster.

Nick


No comments:

Post a Comment